The FCT Belfast group requires a Conference Coordinator to research, plan, market and develop a large international annual conference for the work of the Forum for Cities in Transition: 27-30th October 2014
In the five short years since its creation, the Forum for Cities in Transition (FCT) has played a major role in the transformation of divided societies from conflict to sustainable peace building.
The Forum for Cities in Transition is an international network of mayors, councillors, municipal officials, business people, and representatives of the voluntary and community sector; see http://citiesintransition.net
The Forum works on the principle that cities that are in conflict or have emerged from conflict are in the best position to help other cities in the same situation.
The Forum for Cities in Transition is an initiative of the John Joseph Moakley Chair at the University of Massachusetts, Boston. The Secretariat is shared by the Northern Ireland Foundation and the Moakley Chair.
Essentially, the Forum for Cities in Transition allows participating cities to deal with normal problems in abnormal circumstances.
Forum cities host annual gatherings of the entire membership, which result in practical, action focused pledges initiated and undertaken by individual cities, working collaboratively within and/or between fellow member cities.
Outcomes so far include joint policing partnerships, volunteering development, increased technical knowledge, leadership capacity building and economic development initiatives.
The inaugural annual conference was held in Mitrovica, Kosovo, from in May 2010 and hosted by the FCT Mitrovica group. There have been subsequent annual conference in Derry-Londonderry (2011), Kirkuk (2012) and Kaduna (2013).
The next annual conference will be held in Belfast, from 27-30th October 2014 and hosted by the FCT Belfast group.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONFERENCE CO-ORDINATOR
Develop an agreed conference programme
- to produce detailed proposals for the conference event, including timelines, venues, suppliers, legal obligations, staffing and budget
- to manage agreed conference programme
- to identify and secure speakers and special guests
- to liaise with external agencies, including voluntary sector organisations, the media, local authorities, business contacts, and other stakeholders and clients in the implementation of the conference programme
- to undertake public relations (PR) activities to raise the profile of the organisation and the conference
Manage funds for major international conference
- to follow up on funding leads provided by supporting staff
- to develop further potential funding opportunities through proactive marketing
- to manage an agreed budget
- to adhere to all public procurement procedures
- to administer all returns and keep informed, the donor funders
Manage requisite administrative and logistical elements of the conference
- to secure and book suitable venue
- to co-ordinate venue management, caterers, contractors and equipment hire
- to create planning room layouts showing workshops and sessions
- to coordinate staffing requirements and staff briefings
- to prepare delegate packs and papers
- to liaise with clients and designers to create a brand for the event and organise the production of marketing materials including posters and promotional material
- to liaise with colleagues to promote the event
- to coordinate suppliers, handling client queries and troubleshooting during the conference to ensure smooth running
- to conduct post-event evaluation (including survey, analysis and reporting)
- to attend regular meetings of the FCT Belfast group
- to meet with Forum Secretariat staff in the Belfast office
- to communicate with Forum Secretariat staff in the Belfast and Boston offices
- to undertake other appropriate duties for the effective operation of the work of the FCT Belfast group and the conference event
The successful consultant will report to the Chair of the FCT Belfast group, as well as work closely with the following:
- members of the FCT Belfast group
- Chair of the FCT Belfast group
- Forum Secretariat staff based in Belfast and Boston
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE FORUM FOR CITIES IN TRANSITION
- To approve suggestions on themes, content and venue of conference
- To provide a sounding board for the conference organiser
- To assist with the recruitment of participants when necessary
- To attend the conference and co-facilitate with the conference organiser
The submission should include:
- Knowledge and understanding of the brief
- Approach used
- Evidence of experience and track record
- Expertise and references
- Tender budget
Tender price must include:
- Fees for facilitation of all elements of the piece of work as outlined above
- Any associated staffing administrative support
- Any associated office running costs including telephone and administration costs
- All local travel and other incidental expenses
- Date for submission of tenders is Tuesday, 5 August 2014, 5pm
- Appointment of consultant will be made by Tuesday, 19 August 2014
- Conference dates are Monday-Thursday, 27-30 October 2014 (with delegate arrives/departures on 26/31 October 2014)
- Completion of evaluation and financial and other administration due by Thursday, 30 November 2014
Submissions should be returned in sealed envelopes marked – ‘Tender for Forum for Cities in Transition’ and addressed to:
Mr A Leonard, FCT Belfast (NI) Ltd, Carnegie Building, 121 Donegall Road, BELFAST, BT12 5JL
and/or sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date and time for receipt of completed tender documents is
5pm on Tuesday, 5 August 2014.
Applicants may be interviewed depending on the quantity/quality of applications. The right is reserved to interview only those organisations/individuals that, from their submissions, best comply with the Terms of Reference.
The contract will be awarded to the organisation/individual that complies best with tender requirements.
The Forum for Cities in Transition is not bound to accept any or the lowest tender, and reserves the right to accept the whole or part of the tender.
Please read full Terms of Reference for this job of Conference Coordinator.